For those of us that love to spoil our dogs, making homemade treats is one of the best ways to do it. Summer is the perfect time to whip up a cool treat to make your pet more comfortable during the hotter days. There are many simple recipes that require very little preparation and ingredients for the great appreciation your dog will show. Try out the recipes below for your pup’s Stamp of Approval!
Peanut Butter Ice Cream
? 2 cups plain, nonfat yogurt
? 1 cup creamy peanut butter
? 1 package apples and chicken baby food
? 2 tablespoons honey
? Paper cups wide enough to accommodate your pup’s muzzle
- Place one cup peanut butter in a microwavable container and heat for 20 seconds to slightly melt the peanut butter. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and stir to thoroughly blend. Spoon or pour mixture into treat cups, till about 2/3 full. Note: the mixture will expand a bit as it freezes.
- Tap cups on the counter to settle ingredients, then place them on a flat surface in the freezer. Allow to freeze for a minimum of three to four hours. Remove from freezer and let your pet enjoy!
Berry Chicken Pupsicles
? One chicken breast, cooked and chopped
? 2 cups chopped berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or all three)
? 1 cup water
- Mix all ingredients and puree in blender until smooth.
- Pour into molds and place in freezer.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- Run warm water around the mold to remove the pupsicles.
For your pet’s safety, remember not to add any nuts, grapes, seeds or chocolate to any of your treats, as these are not suitable foods for dogs. These treats are easy and sure to please. Let the tail wagging begin!
doggydesertchef.com. (2014, March 3). Berry Chicken Pupsicles. Retrieved June 8, 2018, from doggydessertchef.com: https://doggydessertchef.com/2014/03/03/berry-chicken-pup-sicles/
Smith, H. C. (n.d.). Peanut Butter Ice Cream for Dogs Recipe. Retrieved June 18, 2018, from hgtv.com: https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/peanut-butter-ice-cream-for-dogs-recipe